Weymouth lies on the beautiful World Heritage Coast (sometimes referred to as the Jurassic Coast), which runs from Exmouth in Devon to Studland Bay in Dorset. Here you will find 185 million years of history and 95 wonderful miles of coastline. Perfectly complemented by stunning landscapes and amazing wildlife. Words like Geology, Fossils, Jurassic Rocks and Dinosaur footprints together with Chesil Beach and Portland Stone, conjure up vivid images and are all within a short distance from The Edenhurst.
Festivals & Events
Weymouth hosts many celebrations and annual festivals throughout the year. The summer events and festivals are particularly popular especially the seaside carnival celebrations in August each year.
Various sailing regattas around the 2012 Olympic bay, classic car and motorcycle runs from the town centre to nearby Dorset locations, and seasonal nature walks at the RSPB Radipole Lake are just are few of the many exciting activities that Weymouth has to offer.
Annual highlights include:
- Weymouth International Beach Kite Festival in May, with competitions, demonstrations and free kite flying by UK and international kite fliers
- Wessex Folk Festival in Weymouth, with the Morris Boys, Mad Dog McRee, The Dolmen, James Findlay Fingers`n`Fretz, Finnian MCgurk, just to name a few lined up for June
- Weymouth Middle Distance Triathlon in September, incorporating a gruelling 1900-metre sea swim, 56-mile bike ride and 13.1-mile run
- Weymouth & Portland Maritime Festival - Spirit of the Sea - which celebrates the area's close relationship with the sea, and brings together a range of sporting activities, cultural events and entertainment during July.
- Weekly firework displays Suspended at the moment
- Weymouth Carnival in August with a variety of stalls along the Esplanade, stunning aerial displays such as the Red Arrows, a funfair, a tug of war, bands on the beach, a fantastic firework display, a fancy dress parade and lots more
- Weymouth Speed Week in October, where sailors pit their wits against the elements to try to beat the world speed record set by Yellow Pages Endeavour in October 1993.
- Weymouths Beer festivals.
- German beer festival in April
- Octoberfest in October, Beer Festival. 50+ Real Ales and Ciders from Scotland and the South West. Supported by CAMRA.
Out And About In Weymouth
Listed below is a small selection of popular attractions in the Weymouth area.
|Art in the Square||01305 839100|
|Bennett's Water Gardens||01305 785150|
|Fantasy Island Fun Park||01305 834746|
|Sand World||07411 387529|
|The Palm House||01305 458089|
|Green Gym||01305 838000|
|Nothe Fort||01929 462537|
|Radipole Nature Reserve||01305 778313|
|Tudor House||01305 812341|
|Weymouth Angling Centre||01305 777771|
|Weymouth Whitewater||01305 781146|
Other Local Attractions
|Abbotsbury Attractions||Abbotsbury||01305 871130|
|Tank Museum||Bovington||01929 405096|
|Monkey World||Wareham||01929 462537|